Subject: Re: problems installing/running mozilla
To: None <tech-pkg@NetBSD.org, port-macppc@NetBSD.org>
From: Michael Rauch <mrauch@NetBSD.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 01/20/2004 09:55:18
Hi,

On Mon, Jan 19, 2004 at 07:37:05PM +0100, Thomas Klausner wrote:
> nsNativeComponentLoader: SelfRegisterDll(libgfx_gtk.so) Load FAILED with
> error: /usr/pkg/lib/mozilla/components/libgfx_gtk.so: Unsupported
> relocation type 6 in non-PLT relocations
> [...]
> Starting mozilla just does nothing -- the prompt doesn't return, but no
> new window appears.
> [...]
> Since 1.5.1 works but 1.5.1nb1 doesn't, could it have something
> to do with the added Xinerama support?

I think so. libXinerama is only available as a static lib
(/usr/X11R6/lib/libXinerama.a), which is compiled without -fPIC. Linking
such a static library into a shared one (libgfx_gtk.so) won't work in
general, but result in the error in the first quoted line.
One exception to this general rule is i386, where there's no real difference
between code compiled with and without -fPIC, so, although wrong, it just
happens to work there.

Michael