Subject: Re: WRKSRC's position in Makefiles, and pkglint
To: Alistair Crooks <agc@pkgsrc.org>
From: None <cube@cubidou.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 01/19/2004 17:12:35
On Mon, Jan 19, 2004 at 05:00:16PM +0100, Thomas Klausner wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 19, 2004 at 03:49:33PM +0000, Alistair Crooks wrote:
> > You missed out the other point I made about your specifying exceptions
> > to a rule, and then using the default for the rule to justify the
> > placement next to a variable which is often not used. Quite why
> >
> > WRKSRC=		${WRKDIR}
> >
> > needs to go next to the MASTER_SITES definition is beyond me, but
> > maybe I'm just getting old.
>
> Ok, then please explain why exactly the CATEGORIES line should be up
> there. It might as well be in the MAINTAINER section.
> Or PKGNAME. What does it have to do with the distribution?
> Nothing, it's our chosen name for registering the package,
> which just happens to coincide with DISTNAME sometimes.

To me, the first block is about user-visible variables: what is
downloaded, name of resulting package, where to find it (which brings
in categories).  Second block is about meta-data: comment and homepage
fit there just fine.

Then, it is the core of the Makefile: what Gets Things Done and the user
don't care about it.  All happens in ${WRKDIR}.  To me, WRKSRC really
is a part of the build process (it's in WRKDIR) and belongs there.

> And really, the whole discussion is silly.

Agreed.  I really don't care much about WRKSRC definition's location, as
long as it's consistent across packages.  That's the only thing that
matters.

Right now it is consistent, and handled by pkglint.  I'm OK with that,
even though it doesn't seem the most logical choice to me.

Quentin Garnier.