Subject: Re: WRKSRC's position in Makefiles, and pkglint
To: Alistair Crooks <agc@pkgsrc.org>
From: Thomas Klausner <wiz@NetBSD.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 01/19/2004 17:00:16
On Mon, Jan 19, 2004 at 03:49:33PM +0000, Alistair Crooks wrote:
> You missed out the other point I made about your specifying exceptions
> to a rule, and then using the default for the rule to justify the
> placement next to a variable which is often not used. Quite why
>
> WRKSRC=		${WRKDIR}
>
> needs to go next to the MASTER_SITES definition is beyond me, but
> maybe I'm just getting old.

Ok, then please explain why exactly the CATEGORIES line should be up
there. It might as well be in the MAINTAINER section.
Or PKGNAME. What does it have to do with the distribution?
Nothing, it's our chosen name for registering the package,
which just happens to coincide with DISTNAME sometimes.

I think you are applying too strict reasoning to something that
hasn't been defined strictly at all.

And really, the whole discussion is silly.
Define a place where this fits according to your definitions, document
it, and I'll probably fix pkglint to follow it. I'll leave it up to you,
or anyone else who wants, to fix the packages to follow that order then.

 Thomas