Subject: WRKSRC's position in Makefiles, and pkglint
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Alistair Crooks <agc@pkgsrc.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 01/19/2004 10:11:52
pkglint 3.49 was modified to ensure that the WRKSRC definition
in a package Makefile was placed in the first "paragraph" in
pkgsrc Makefiles, along with the

	DISTNAME PKGNAME SVR4_PKGNAME CATEGORIES MASTER_SITES
	MASTER_SITE_SUBDIR EXTRACT_SUFX DISTFILES

definitions.

	revision 1.84
	date: 2003/03/29 12:34:11;  author: jmmv;  state: Exp;  lines: +2 -2
	Update to 3.49: make sure WRKSRC is properly placed in the second section,
	the one starting by DISTNAME (if present). Ok'ed by wiz.

I've been told that the rationale for this was because the name of the
WRKSRC directory is directly dependent on the DISTNAME.  I don't
believe the change was discussed anywhere, but I could be wrong about
this.

I believe strongly that the WRKSRC definition really belongs in the
build information, and that the first paragraph should be reserved for
detailing the location of any distfiles, and pertinent information to
them.  Having WRKSRC in that paragraph just clutters up pkgsrc
makefiles for me.  I believe that definitions of WRKSRC more properly
belong in the sections related to building the package itself.

Regards,
Alistair
--
Alistair Crooks <agc@pkgsrc.org>