Subject: pkgsrc/lang/gcc on IRIX 5.3
To: None <>
From: Georg Schwarz <>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 01/19/2004 03:42:41
pkgsrc/lang/gcc/patches/patch-ac adds the following line to

The IRIX 5.3 cc does not like the -fPIC option, and thus bootstrapping
gcc fails. When I remove -fPIC (should I also remove -DPIC?) it works
until it gets to the comparison of the .o files, which is known to fail
on IRIX 5.3, see
Is there a way to tweak the pkgsrc Makefile to leave out the
comparisons, or to continue installation when it fails?
(what I did was to cheat by manually doing a touch work/.build_done;
this at least installed something...)

Also, does pkgsrc contain GNU as (or binutils, respectively)? gcc -g is
not supported on IRIX5 unless we have GNU as.

Georg Schwarz     +49 177 8811442