Subject: pkgsrc/lang/gcc on IRIX 5.3
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Georg Schwarz <geos@epost.de>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 01/19/2004 03:42:41
pkgsrc/lang/gcc/patches/patch-ac adds the following line to
gcc-2.95.3/libiberty/Makefile.in:

PICFLAG = -fPIC -DPIC

The IRIX 5.3 cc does not like the -fPIC option, and thus bootstrapping
gcc fails. When I remove -fPIC (should I also remove -DPIC?) it works
until it gets to the comparison of the .o files, which is known to fail
on IRIX 5.3, see http://gcc.gnu.org/install/specific.html#mips-sgi-irix5
Is there a way to tweak the pkgsrc Makefile to leave out the
comparisons, or to continue installation when it fails?
(what I did was to cheat by manually doing a touch work/.build_done;
this at least installed something...)

Also, does pkgsrc contain GNU as (or binutils, respectively)? gcc -g is
not supported on IRIX5 unless we have GNU as.

--
Georg Schwarz    http://home.pages.de/~schwarz/
 geos@epost.de     +49 177 8811442