Subject: Re: paralell/glunix interaction during build
To: Tim Rightnour <root@garbled.net>
From: Michal Pasternak <michal@pasternak.w.lub.pl>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 01/17/2004 18:38:10
Tim Rightnour [Sat, Jan 17, 2004 at 11:23:48AM -0700]:

> On 17-Jan-04 Michal Pasternak wrote:
> > Any reasons this package is so interactive while building?
> >
> > I'd suggest removing this interactive facility, and place that information
> > in MESSAGE file, because such interaction during build doesn't seem okay.
> >
> > Everyone agree? If so, I'll PR some patches for this.
>
> The authors specifically asked me to do that.

What's the license of glunix? GNU? BSD? Some other?

IMVHO this should be either did as a LICENSE, or a MESSAGE should be popped
after an installation, explictly asking user to do that. If not, the program
could be patched so it asks for running survey script. This should _not_ be
done from pkgsrc level (unless glunix author really appreciate surveys from
mr. Foo Bar, United Forces of America, Kayman Islands).

I really appreciate work of glunix authors, but from pkgsrc maintainer point
of view, it's 1 package out of about 5713 packages. Also, why do we treat
glunix in such different way? What if I create a package and I'll demand
such survey from pkgsrc developers, would you agree? :)