Subject: use of tools in source Makefiles/scripts?
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Georg Schwarz <geos@epost.de>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 01/16/2004 22:16:13
What's the rule/policy for Makefiles that come with the orignal source
code of a package: should it be patched to call tools like awk, grep,
etc. via the respective pkgsrc config variables?
I noticed that for example audio/mpg123/work/mpg123-0.59r/Makefile
explicitely uses mkdir instead of ${MKDIR}, requiring me to have GNU
mkdir in my PATH before the IRIX mkdir, the latter being not compatible
with the operations done here. It is not sufficient to have MKDIR point
to the gnu version.
There are probably many other examples. On a rather recent open source
platform they should not surface, since one uses the "good stuff" only
anyway..
Is there a some documentation explaining the pkgsrc "policy" with
respect to such porting-related issues?

--
Georg Schwarz    http://home.pages.de/~schwarz/
 geos@epost.de     +49 177 8811442