Subject: Re: better fonts with graphics/freetype2
To: Michal Pasternak <michal@pasternak.w.lub.pl>
From: None <awfabian@earthlink.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 01/15/2004 12:07:05
On Thu, 15 Jan 2004, Michal Pasternak wrote:

> Don't you think it could be okay to add a build-time option in this case, to
> prefer the hinting alghoritm? Also, I am not a lawyer -- but if someone

The option to include the patented code is prominently displayed and very,
very easy to enable.  It would be a terrible mistake, I think, to overtly
infringe on a patent.  I'd rather the NetBSD foundation spend money on
things like improving NetBSD than defending itself it patent suits.  I
have no legal expertise either, but considering some of the draconian laws
there are around, seems pretty risky to allow it to be enabled so easily,
even if for legitimate patent licensees and people in foreign
countries