Subject: better fonts with graphics/freetype2
To: None <,>
From: Michal Pasternak <>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 01/15/2004 17:56:47
It may not be a discovery of America, but today some gentlemen from
#linux@freenode called "zborged" told me about freetype2 option, that allows
one to use a better hinter alghoritm (see his font FAQ at ) -- it makes TTF fonts
look better.

freetype2 has some information about it in docs/TRUETYPE . Unfortunatley,
there are some patent issues about that alghoritm, described on .

Don't you think it could be okay to add a build-time option in this case, to
prefer the hinting alghoritm? Also, I am not a lawyer -- but if someone
could have a look at this issue and review it -- maybe we could add a build
flag for this hinter alghoritm unconditionally?

Michal Pasternak :: ::
::don't use MySQL::details on