Subject: better fonts with graphics/freetype2
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org, rh@netbsd.org>
From: Michal Pasternak <michal@pasternak.w.lub.pl>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 01/15/2004 17:56:47
It may not be a discovery of America, but today some gentlemen from
#linux@freenode called "zborged" told me about freetype2 option, that allows
one to use a better hinter alghoritm (see his font FAQ at
http://www.dropline.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=825 ) -- it makes TTF fonts
look better.

freetype2 has some information about it in docs/TRUETYPE . Unfortunatley,
there are some patent issues about that alghoritm, described on
http://www.freetype.org/patents.html .

Don't you think it could be okay to add a build-time option in this case, to
prefer the hinting alghoritm? Also, I am not a lawyer -- but if someone
could have a look at this issue and review it -- maybe we could add a build
flag for this hinter alghoritm unconditionally?

Regards,
--
Michal Pasternak :: http://pasternak.w.lub.pl :: http://winsrc.sf.net
::don't use MySQL::details on http://sql-info.de/mysql/gotchas.html::