Subject: Re: pkgsrc, bmake, Linux and Ctrl+C
To: None <tech-pkg@NetBSD.org>
From: Bruce J.A. Nourish <bjan+tech-pkg@bjan.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 01/14/2004 01:42:31
On Wed, Jan 14, 2004 at 04:58:11PM +0900, Masao Uebayashi wrote:
> > What am I talking about? In Linux, go to some package which has lots of
> > dependecies (e.g. meta-pkgs/xfce4), run bmake and try to interrupt the
> > process by pressing ^C. Now type "ps axw" and see how some (sub?)makes
> > are still running, ftp is fetching files, etc. It can be very hard to
> > kill all those subtasks...
>
> 	% pkill bmake
>
> would help you...

s/pkill/killall/, Linux doesn't have pkill. And killall won't always work
either - I once ran bmake in /usr/pkgsrc on a FreeBSD machine and it was
like a fork bomb. I eventually had to shut down the outbound network
interface, which was a shame as I was using SSH.
--
Bruce J.A. Nourish <bjan+public@bjan.net> http://bjan.freeshell.org