Subject: Re: IceWM 1.2.7 execution problem (iconv not up-to-date ?)
To: R. Braun <syn@sceen.net>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 01/13/2004 12:45:06
On Tue, 13 Jan 2004, R. Braun wrote:

> > > IceWM: iconv doesn't supply (sufficient) 646 to Unicode converters.
> >
> > I was told on the gnu.org bug-gnu-libiconv that "646" is not a valid
> > encoding name.
> >
> > I was told to fix NetBSD to return a valid encoding name (such
> > as "ASCII", "US-ASCII" or "ANSI_X3.4-1968") instead.
> >
> > This was with NetBSD-1.6.x, so I don't understand that, because I thought
> > this was defined in GNU libiconv itself. Who knows about this?
> >
> > Or I was told to fix icewm to perform the necessary conversion from "646"
> > to "ASCII". (And a converter is available in the libiconv/libcharset
> > directory as an example.)

> If I recall correctly, NetBSD-current has its own libiconv library
> integrated into the base system, whereas NetBSD-1.6 installs it from
> pkgsrc. Correct me if I'm wrong but it should be the reason why libiconv
> implies those problems only on NetBSD-1.6.

Yes. This is using libiconv from pkgsrc. Since I received that information
from the libiconv mailing list, I assume that this 646 is defined
somewhere by NetBSD 1.6.x. I found some 646 references in the src tree,
but I don't know where it would find what defines it (maybe libc). Later,
I'll try running it through ktrace to see if I can track it down.

   Jeremy C. Reed
   http://www.reedmedia.net/

p.s. This is same issue as also reported in PR #23979.