Subject: Re: Rampantly unofficial bootstrap kits
To: Jan Schaumann <jschauma@NetBSD.org>
From: Mike M. Volokhov <mishka@terabyte.com.ua>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 01/13/2004 18:30:01
On Tue, 13 Jan 2004 10:48:39 -0500
Jan Schaumann <jschauma@NetBSD.org> wrote:

> "Bruce J.A. Nourish" <bjan+tech-pkg@bjan.net> wrote:
>
> > Bruce's rampantly unofficial bootstrap binary kits:
> > http://bjan.freeshell.org/bootstrap-pkgsrc/
>
> This message reminded me to bring up the topic of binary packages in
> pkgsrc-wip.  Currently, we can only allow binary packages created by
> NetBSD developers to be uploaded to ftp.netbsd.org, and similarly only
> allow binary bootstrap kits from developers.
>
> This way, we're missing out on binary packages that non-developers may
> create, which of course includes but is not limited to pkgsrc-wip.  I
> really think it would be very beneficial if pkgsrc-wip allowed
> commiters to upload binary packages (and binary bootstrap kits).
> Maybe we could take, say, quarterly snapshots and release a
> pkgrc-wip-binary tarball as well...
>
> Binary packages should of course be signed and the page would get a
> big disclaimer regarding the risks involved (much like Bruce's page).

That all reminded me about pkgsrc-wip bulk builds. Some time ago I've
tried to do "cd wip && make readme", but it was stopped about ten times,
and even more may not built. These points to low quality of packages
(strictly say, many packages by nature are work-in-progress).

So, it would be great to do a periodical passes trough some
stabilization period of pkgsrc-wip.

--
Kind regards,
Mishka.