Subject: Re: IceWM 1.2.7 execution problem (iconv not up-to-date ?)
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 01/12/2004 21:58:58
> IceWM: iconv doesn't supply (sufficient) 646 to Unicode converters.

I was told on the gnu.org bug-gnu-libiconv that "646" is not a valid
encoding name.

I was told to fix NetBSD to return a valid encoding name (such
as "ASCII", "US-ASCII" or "ANSI_X3.4-1968") instead.

This was with NetBSD-1.6.x, so I don't understand that, because I thought
this was defined in GNU libiconv itself. Who knows about this?

Or I was told to fix icewm to perform the necessary conversion from "646"
to "ASCII". (And a converter is available in the libiconv/libcharset
directory as an example.)

   Jeremy C. Reed
   http://bsd.reedmedia.net/

p.s. This is regarding PR #23979 too.