Subject: Re: PostgreSQL 7.4.1 anyone?
To: Michal Pasternak <michal@pasternak.w.lub.pl>
From: Mike M. Volokhov <mishka@terabyte.com.ua>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 01/12/2004 18:06:48
On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 14:55:27 +0100
Michal Pasternak <michal@pasternak.w.lub.pl> wrote:

> Martin Husemann [Mon, Jan 12, 2004 at 03:25:59PM +0100]:
> > I would imediately drop any package system that
> > fidles with my database content automagically in such situations.
>
> What's the difference between pg_dump performed automatically and
> performed by hand?
>
> What's the difference between loading the dump to an empty SQL
> database by hand and automatically?

What a reason of implement that script for automated DB reloading? This
is incompatibles. In the other case there are no need to do that things.
Thus, there are no any warranties that database from old DBS will work
without any troubles on a new one. This will cause to long stand idle
period until incorectly restored DB will be repaired. This is
inacceptable for many companies. Another problem is a possible data
loss or damage. In this case DB will be operationing incorrectly and
this may cause to another (even non technical) problems. Moreover, if DB
will not be restored automatically (but this may be reality), that
script just useless.

Generally say, good solution is create new (hardware dedicated) database
server, install new DBS on it, and then copy all data from old one to
another. After that new DBS should be tested withing some planned
period. And when testing will positively done, servers should be
substituted.

Another solution (as I've already mentioned) is use pkgviews. If DB
server had a resources enough, it would be theoretically possible.

Relatively to this PostgreSQL package, IMHO it is better to mention that
incompatibles in the MESSAGE file thus DBA will able to handle them.

--
Regards,
Mishka.