Subject: Re: PostgreSQL 7.4.1 anyone?
To: Hubert Feyrer <hubert@feyrer.de>
From: D'Arcy J.M. Cain <darcy@NetBSD.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 01/12/2004 07:26:02
On January 12, 2004 06:10 am, Hubert Feyrer wrote:
> On Mon, 12 Jan 2004, D'Arcy J.M. Cain wrote:
> > Because PostgreSQL requires a dump and reload between 7.3 and 7.4 I
> > wonder if we can create a new package called postgresql74 for this
> > version.  We do this
>
> I'd rather say rename the current (then-old) version to postgresql73, and
> name the new pkg just postgresql.

Which leaves users with the same problem.  they upgrade an existing package
and suddenly their existing databases are unusable.  The point is that they
are different packages.  If you call the new one postgresql74 then anyone
upgrading to it knows that it is different and that a dump and reload is
necessary.

However, I do agree that changing the name of the old one to postgresql73
would also be a good idea for consistency.

--
D'Arcy J.M. Cain <darcy@netbsd.org>
http://www.NetBSD.org/