Subject: Re: ruby-drb package
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Rasputin <rasputin@idoru.mine.nu>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 01/09/2004 14:49:42
* Takahiro Kambe <taca@back-street.net> [0117 14:17]:

> 	Rasputin <rasputin@idoru.mine.nu> wrote:
> > I want to create a rwiki package, but it needs drb2.
> >
> > Would you rather I upgraded the existing net/ruby-drb package or
> > created a ruby-drb2 package (probably in pkgsrc-wip, as I don't have commit
> > rights anywhere else...) ?

> I don't use ruby-drb package well by myself.  Since it depends on
> compatibility level and users' voice, you had better propose on
> tech-pkg mailing list.

Here I am then :)

Does anyone mind if I bump net/ruby-drb to v2?

A quick 'grep drb /usr/pkgsrc/*/*/Makefile' only returned the package
itself, so I dont think this will break anything in pkgsrc (or wip).

I think the v2 protocol is closer to the one used in ruby 1.8, so in some
ways it would make sense to bump the version now. Or should I stick a ruby-drb2
in wip and let someone else worry about renaming when (if) it goes into pkgsrc?

( How do you guys normally handle major version changes? It seems a bit messy to
have a pkgname-N for all N > 1 ... )

--
I went to the museum where they had all the heads and arms from the
statues that are in all the other museums.