Subject: Re: x11/pygtk Broken ?
To: adam <adam@monkeybyte.org>
From: Michal Pasternak <michal@pasternak.w.lub.pl>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 01/08/2004 21:43:40
adam [Thu, Jan 08, 2004 at 12:52:50PM -0800]:
> ok so it fails when I try to build, this is why:
> import sys, string
> minver = '1.5.2'
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
>   File "/usr/pkg/lib/python2p2/string.py", line 225, in atoi
>     return _int(s, base)
> ValueError: invalid literal for int(): 2p2

> '2p2.3'
>
> Simple fix patch is to replace 2p2 with 2.2 in the configure script.

You should replace:

	pyver = string.split(sys.version)[0]

to:

	pyver = string.split(sys.version.replace("p", "."))[0]

in the configure script.

py-gtk2 compiles okay. I strongly suggest using py-gtk2 for development on
new software.

As I said, I don't know who was that Einstein to call pthreaded Python
"2p3". Pth or not, it does _not_ have any effect on Python apps, so changing
sys.version was just plain stupid. It causes many problems and requires lot
of patching (vide wip/freevo/patches), which would be not normally necesary.

Of course, packaging system needs to differentiate between GNU pth and non
GNU pth Python. Python applications _don't_.

As I keep doing some real jobs with pkgsrc Python, I know, that this package
was seriously broken on NetBSD -- but, thanks God, Marc Recht fixed many
things in the latest import (and has been very communicative and willing to
fix things). Sadly, some other maintainers of py-* packages I use often
didn't find enough time either to respond to my e-mails or to keep their
packages up to date.