Subject: Re: RFC: recommended dependencies (diffs attached)
To: Rene Hexel <rh@netbsd.org>
From: Thomas Klausner <wiz@NetBSD.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 01/08/2004 14:40:12
On Thu, Jan 08, 2004 at 11:08:47PM +1000, Rene Hexel wrote:
>   Only if there is a real dependency change.  I.e., if
> there is a user-visible change that only allows packages
> to compile against one version of a package or another,
> but not both.

"Real dependency change" is exactly what I wanted explained.

>   For example, when libgnome got updated to 2.4.0 the
> API was changed and older gnome2 packages would not
> build against the new version of libgnome

That doesn't have to do anything with the BUILDLINK_DEPENDS,
since they only work the other way round.

> and vice versa.

So the only case is when a package needs at least version x.y of
the package? So it is only changed if _all_ dependent packages need
a newer version? Otherwise we could just add
	BUILDLINK_DEPENDS.gnome-libs=gnome-libs>=2.4.0
in the package that needs the newer version.

In case of security updates I guess you only set the recommended
version higher and let the users of the override take care of
themselves, right?

How do you suggest a user finds out if he has non-recommended
versions of packages installed?

 Thomas