Subject: Re: buildlink3, sed and Solaris
To: Gavan Fantom <gavan@coolfactor.org>
From: Alistair Crooks <agc@pkgsrc.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 01/07/2004 10:32:18
On Wed, Jan 07, 2004 at 10:20:04AM +0000, Gavan Fantom wrote:
> On Tue, 6 Jan 2004, Johnny C. Lam wrote:
>
> > > /usr/xpg4/bin/sed still has a limit on the number of commands it can
> > > execute per invocation. If memory serves me, this limit is 100. Surely if
> > > we are specifying that many commands, we ought to be able to split the
> > > commands into perhaps two or three calls to sed?
> >
> > In theory, yes, but why not just use nbsed?  That would be faster than
> > invoking several sed processes in a pipeline.
>
> I'm just a bit concerned about the growing number of non-native tools that
> we need.

I'd prefer to be able to count on known-good, functioning utilities in
NetBSD so that we don't have to spacial-case a lot of things.  As
nbsed is now in bootstrap-pkgsrc, it's not really a big deal, and it
also encourages vendors to ship decent tools with their own operating
systems.

Regards,
Alistair
--