Subject: Re: inflation of PKGREVISION bumps [was Re: CVS commit: pkgsrc]
To: Rene Hexel <rh@netbsd.org>
From: Thomas Klausner <wiz@NetBSD.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 01/06/2004 23:53:56
On Tue, Jan 06, 2004 at 08:30:41AM +1000, Rene Hexel wrote:
>   I don't.  To a degree you have to trust developers to
> DTRT.  I don't think forcing everyone to update everything
> just because developers who upload binary packages are
> supposed to do that from a consistent, up to date set of
> packages is the right way to go.

It's not only for developers uploading binary packages,
it's also for everyone else who's using binary packages.

I know of a number of people who compile on one machine
and then install the binary packages on many more.

>   You can't enforce everything.  What if people use
> non-standard settings in their mk.conf?  What if people
> use 'make replace', 'pkg_add -f', etc.?

No, but the default should be safe.

>   In fact, the only think bumping PKGREVISIONs and DEPENDs
> enforces is that people either put up with endless
> recompilation orgies or update only parts of their
> pkgsrc tree to get some work done.  IMHO the danger then
> up upload packages that were created from an inconsistent
> pkgsrc tree is much greater this way than without the
> forced updates.

I'm sorry that this is making you angry, but I don't see
that as an argument.

>   Also, while I agree that in theory, enforcing a stable,
> consistent package system is a good thing, in practice,
> this is not the case.  Pkgsrc is hardly ever in a state
> where everything compiles.

This is a different argument.
If a package doesn't compile, it should be fixed.
pkgsrc developers usually take great care that this
doesn't happen (too often ;) ).

 Thomas