Subject: Re: Heads-up about buildlink3
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Jonathan Perkin <jonathan@perkin.org.uk>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 01/06/2004 12:27:42
* On 2004-01-05 at 21:27 GMT, Johnny C. Lam wrote:

> Solaris folks out there, buildlink3 has some new goodies to make the
> Sun toolchain look more GNUish and will hopefully reduce the amount
> of patching needed to get things to work with the Sun compiler.

Just as a follow up to this, I've recently been doing Solaris/SunCC
bulk builds with a backport of the sunpro handling to bl2, and even
though they are unprived builds with some still-to-be-fixed issues
stopping lots of dependancies, the last run built 1535 packages,
which is approximately a 50% increase up on a vanilla pkgsrc tree.

The exciting stuff will be when bl3 is default for *all* packages,
as my broken.html is still full of non-bl2 packages which bork with
silly -Wall failures etc.  I may attempt a blanket USE_BUILDLINK2=#
build this week just to see what happens.

Many thanks to Johnny for this work, it's really making pkgsrc a
huge advantage for those of us lumbered with Solaris systems.  I
think once we get around the 2000/cc and 3000/gcc marks for working
packages, a lot of Solaris sysadmins will take a serious look at us.

--
Jonathan Perkin                         <jonathan@perkin.org.uk>
BBC Internet Services         http://www.perkin.org.uk/jonathan/