Subject: Re: CVS commit: pkgsrc
To: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
From: Rene Hexel <rh@netbsd.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 01/06/2004 08:45:38
On 05/01/2004, at 8:12 AM, Frederick Bruckman wrote:

> Crazy idea... What if we gave folks a way to build the old PKGREVISION
> from the same directory? You set some variable, and the PKGREVISION
> and dependencies both change. There would have to be checks to forbid
> building the old PKGREVISION against the new ABI, and all possible
> combinations would not be permitted, either, just the previous newest.

   Hmm, that would be a good idea.  I don't think that the
PKGREVISION bump as such is the problem.  But bumping the
dependencies and thus requiring an update is what causes
these hassles.

   As I wrote in my email to Thomas, a possible solution
would be to have something like a RECOMMENDED_VERSION
that causes a warning (or an error for package uploaders).

   This way we would make sure that building against an
outdated version does not go unnoticed while using DEPENDs
for real dependency requirements again.  Together with
INCOMPATIBLE, we could make sure that binary packages
won't get installed against incompatible ABIs.

   Cheers
       ,
    Rene