Subject: Re: User's guide to pkgviews (experimental!)
To: None <cube@cubidou.net>
From: Johnny C. Lam <jlam@jgrind.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 01/05/2004 23:46:55
On Tue, Jan 06, 2004 at 08:35:29AM +0100, cube@cubidou.net wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 05, 2004 at 11:23:44PM -0800, Johnny C. Lam wrote:
> > On Tue, Jan 06, 2004 at 08:11:29AM +0100, Juan RP wrote:
> > >
> > > I have question about this.... in the example you are using different
> > > directory (views directory I think)  to install lynx and lynx-current, but do we
> > > can to install them into the same directory? e.g:
> > >
> > > $ cd lynx; make install
> > > $ cd lynx-current; make install
> >
> > This sequence of commands will try to install both lynx and lynx-current
> > into the standard view.  The result will be that lynx will be symlinked
> > correctly, while lynx-current will not.  The attempt to add lynx-current
> > to the standard view will cause a non-fatal error that notes that there
> > are some file collisions between lynx and lynx-current.
>
> Shouldn't it appear as an update (they share the same package name)?
>
> I understand the non-fatal error is useful to install conflicting packages
> in the same view, but when it is two version of the same package...  But I
> guess there will be things to fine-grain later when pkgviews gets broader
> use anyway.

Actually, I was mistaken.  What actually happens is that lynx-current
will be installed into its depot directory, but will _not_ be
symlinked into the standard view because the "build-views" target in
bsd.pkg.mk, which does the actual work in adding a package to the
named views, will detect that another version of lynx already exists
in the standatd view.  It will say:

*** lynx exists in the standard view - package lynx-2.8.4.1nb2 ***
*** Not hoisting lynx-2.8.5.0.7nb3 into the standard view ***

The user then has the opportunity to remove the old package from the
view and add the new package in its place.

	Cheers,

	-- Johnny Lam <jlam@jgrind.org>