Subject: Re: inflation of PKGREVISION bumps [was Re: CVS commit: pkgsrc]
To: Thomas Klausner <wiz@NetBSD.org>
From: Rene Hexel <rh@netbsd.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 01/05/2004 06:49:49
On 05/01/2004, at 12:57 AM, Thomas Klausner wrote:

> On Sun, Jan 04, 2004 at 09:22:43PM +1030, Berndt Josef Wulf wrote:
>> Another problem that I see is that package maintainer are too keenly
>> setting
>> BUILDLINK_DEPENDS.xxxx in the buildlink2.mk files to the current
>> revision
>> level, although, applications  may not necessarily require it if
>> backward
>> compatibility is ensured..
>
> The policy is that the BUILDLINK_DEPENDS.xxx should only be bumped
> if necessary.  "If necessary" includes:
> . security fixes in the package
> . library major bumps
>
> I'm not aware of BUILDLINK_DEPENDS.xxx updates in the recent months
> that were not supported by one of the two above arguments.

   That's exactly the problem we are talking about.  At the
moment, DEPENDS bumps and PKGREVISION changes are used in
combination to avoid problems with binary packages.

   At the same time, this forces people who compile their
packages from source to recompile huge numbers of packages,
even if they would work fine with an older version installed.

   Cheers
       ,
    Rene