Subject: Re: CVS commit: pkgsrc
To: Rene Hexel <>
From: Frederick Bruckman <>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 01/04/2004 16:12:03
On Mon, 5 Jan 2004, Rene Hexel wrote:

> On 05/01/2004, at 1:03 AM, Thomas Klausner wrote:
> > If the fix was critical for i386, I don't think I would
> > see you arguing here, would I?
>    Yes, you definitely would see me argue here in exactly
> the same fashion.  The difference is that I want to have
> a choice *when* I update my packages rather than being
> forced to do this immediately after cvsupdate even if
> there is no technical necessity.

You have a point. There was a minor security issue for png a while
back. I upgraded in place, tested against the already built packages,
and committed. No one complained about that.

>    Even if tiff-3.5.5 did not work at all on i386, I
> could still make a decision of doing some pkgsrc work
> first (when I have the time) and only then start the
> update (when I can do some other work and leave my
> system unattended).

Crazy idea... What if we gave folks a way to build the old PKGREVISION
from the same directory? You set some variable, and the PKGREVISION
and dependencies both change. There would have to be checks to forbid
building the old PKGREVISION against the new ABI, and all possible
combinations would not be permitted, either, just the previous newest.