Subject: Re: COMMENT for net-snmp and ucd-snmp?
To: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
From: Quentin Garnier <netbsd@quatriemek.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 01/04/2004 10:59:01
Le Sat, 3 Jan 2004 20:25:54 -0800 (PST)
Jeremy C. Reed a ecrit :
> $ grep COMMENT net/{net,ucd}-snmp/Makefile
> net/net-snmp/Makefile:COMMENT=  Extensible SNMP implementation
> net/ucd-snmp/Makefile:COMMENT=  Extensible SNMP implementation
>
> Can someone familiar with these two packages provide a COMMENT that is
> different for them?
>
> FreeBSD's net-snmp is: "An extendable SNMP implementation".
>
> Red Hat's ucd-snmp is: "A collection of SNMP protocol tools from
> UC-Davis".
>
> They have same webpage too which says "Previously known as 'ucd-snmp'".
> Maybe ucd-snmp webpage should be http://www.ece.ucdavis.edu/ucd-snmp/

ucd- is version 4, derived from what began at UC Davis, and net- is
version 5, renamed because even latest versions 4 had nothing to do with
UC Davis anymore.  So they really are the same thing, but since the API
changed quite a lot between 4 and 5, we have to keep an ucd- package for
the dependencies that are still not ported to net-snmp.

The homepage has to stay the same, because it was already the homepage of
that project before Net-SNMP was released.

If it really bothers you that two version of the same project have such
different names, maybe ucd-snmp could be renamed to net-snmp4, but it
would only bring confusion, just as what you're proposing would bring
confusion about what are ucd- and net-snmp.

Maybe a MESSAGE file in ucd-snmp should warn the user that this version
should not be installed as such anymore, and that net-snmp should be
preferred.

"Feels like I'm fiddling while Rome is burning down.
Should I lay my fiddle down and take a rifle from the ground ?"
Leigh Nash/Sixpence None The Richer, Paralyzed, Divine Discontents, 2002.