Subject: Re: elinks 0.9
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Soren Jacobsen <snj@pobox.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 01/04/2004 00:10:14
On 01/04 00:07, Bruce J.A. Nourish wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 04, 2004 at 06:39:21AM +0100, Michal Pasternak wrote:
> > No, I think we can go without lua support (Python support is a must, but
> > lua? Who cares... :))). Seriously speaking, you can create "elinks"
> > including lua support and "elinks-nolua" without it.
>
> I must confess that I don't like the idea of adding suffixes to
> packages to distinguish between different features. This is what build
> flags are for.

Don't forget that some people only use binary packages.  In this case, I
don't think it matters in the first place and lua should just be enabled
unconditionally.  However, it can be quite different in other
situations.  Look at audio/libao.  If we enabled arts support through a
build time option, and I were a binary package user, I would have to
install qt3.  qt3-tools is required by arts, which is required by libao
(libao-arts in reality), which is required by mpg321, which is the
package I want to install.  That is just not acceptable.  There's no way
I'm installing qt3 to play mp3s with a CLI program.