Subject: Re: inflation of PKGREVISION bumps [was Re: CVS commit: pkgsrc]
To: Rene Hexel <rh@netbsd.org>
From: Michal Pasternak <michal@pasternak.w.lub.pl>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 01/04/2004 05:39:48
Rene Hexel [Sun, Jan 04, 2004 at 03:10:50PM +1000]:
> >>  Okay, what about this: add a new INCOMPATIBLE_WITH (better
> >>names welcome) entry that is stored in binary packages.
> >
> >And where would you hold INCOMPATIBLE_WITH ? In Makefile? That's not a
> >good
> >idea.
>
>   Why?  We already have CONFLICTS, DEPENDS, etc. in the Makefile.

CONFLICTS are quite bad example (as they signal that the package writes
files named the same to the same places, as other package) - it's quite
irrelevant in this context.

When I create a package, I know what minimal versions of dependencies are
needed. More often, I don't care about the actual versions, I use
buildlink2.mk (if it builds and runs with recent pkgsrc checkout, that's
fine for me, if not -- I update already existing package and send-pr(1) the
changes). How can I know, what versions it will be incompatible with in the
*future* ? I can tell you, what CONFLICTS does the package has, I can tell
what it DEPENDS on. But I don't know what it is INCOMPATIBLE_WITH. How would
INCOMPATIBLE_WITH solve the problem Jeremy had? Please explain... I am
either right, or don't get your point.

--
Michal Pasternak :: http://pasternak.w.lub.pl :: http://winsrc.sf.net
:: free, legal mp3 :: darmowe, legalne mp3 :: http://magnatune.com ::