Subject: Re: CVS commit: pkgsrc
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Rene Hexel <rh@netbsd.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 01/04/2004 13:09:59
On 04/01/2004, at 7:40 AM, Adam C. Migus wrote:

> The bug was discoverd on amd64.  NetBSD runs on over 40 platforms
> and pkgsrc's goal is to be platform agnostic.  It's a bug, period.

   And therefore the package was updated.  I don't mind that at
all.

   What I do mind is bumping PKGREVISION in a large number of
packages to indicate that *another* package was updated!
There are cases when we don't have a choice (i.e., if there
is a library API/ABI change that requires new binaries for
dependent packages), but this was apparently not the case
here.

> There are problems with dependencies, the PKGREVISON variable
> appears to be semantically ill-defined and/or misused and

   I don't think PKGREVISION is ill-defined.  See Hubert's
previous email in this thread and the mailing list archives
that led to the invention of PKGREVISION for more information.

      ,
   Rene