Subject: Re: CVS commit: pkgsrc
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Rene Hexel <rh@netbsd.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 01/04/2004 07:22:49
On 04/01/2004, at 5:39 AM, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:

> I changed over 700 files for the tiff update. This took a couple hours
> of
> work.
>
> This tiff is backward compatible with previous version. I started doing
> this just to fix libtiff for amd64.

   Bumping the PKGREVISION to just indicate to users that they
should update one package on one platform is IMHO very bad
practice!  If people are having problems with the older
version of libtiff, then all they have to do is update that
package and everything is well.

   Can we please try to be more sensible when bumping package
versions?  More often than not I have found myself recompiling
almost my entire installed package base instead of being able
to do any real package work in the recent past.

      ,
   Rene