Subject: Re: CVS commit: pkgsrc
To: Rene Hexel <rh@netbsd.org>
From: Adam C. Migus <adam@migus.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 01/03/2004 16:40:32
Rene Hexel said:
> On 04/01/2004, at 5:39 AM, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:
>
>> I changed over 700 files for the tiff update. This took a couple
>> hours
>> of
>> work.
>>
>> This tiff is backward compatible with previous version. I started
>> doing
>> this just to fix libtiff for amd64.
>
>    Bumping the PKGREVISION to just indicate to users that they
> should update one package on one platform is IMHO very bad
> practice!  If people are having problems with the older
> version of libtiff, then all they have to do is update that
> package and everything is well.

The bug was discoverd on amd64.  NetBSD runs on over 40 platforms
and pkgsrc's goal is to be platform agnostic.  It's a bug, period.

>    Can we please try to be more sensible when bumping package
> versions?  More often than not I have found myself recompiling
> almost my entire installed package base instead of being able
> to do any real package work in the recent past.
>
>       ,
>    Rene

There are problems with dependencies, the PKGREVISON variable
appears to be semantically ill-defined and/or misused and a solution
must be found.  If that's what you're trying to say I think it's
been the point's being made.

Adam