Subject: Argument list too long while buildlinking; are any walk-arounds possible?
To: None <>
From: Michal Pasternak <>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 01/03/2004 03:56:14
I need to include the below buildlinks in order to make a new package, that
I am preparing compile:

	.include "../../graphics/freetype2/"
	.include "../../graphics/imlib2/"
	.include "../../devel/swig-python/"
	.include "../../devel/boost/"
	.include "../../devel/swig/"
	.include "../../lang/python/"

However, FreeBSD-4-STABLE build of such package fails while buildlinking with:

	bmake: Exec of /bin/sh' failed (Argument list too long)

Of course, I can recompile whole world, bumping ARG_MAX value, which is by
default defined in /usr/include/sys/syslimits.h:

	#define ARG_MAX                 65536   /* max bytes for an exec function */

... and you can reply me "If FreeBSD-4 has some things done in a brain-dead
way, don't use it then" -- but maybe there are some other possibilities?

I have put a "bmake -dx" output at

I have (blindly) turned off _BLNK_CACHE_ALL+= FreeBSD-*-* declared in
mk/buildlink2/, didn't change the situation.