Subject: Re: Ruminations on pkg_chk...
To: Bruce J.A. Nourish <bjan+tech-pkg@bjan.net>
From: Gavan Fantom <gavan@coolfactor.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 12/31/2003 12:07:38
On Tue, 30 Dec 2003, Bruce J.A. Nourish wrote:

> On the same note, what do people think of the portupgrade stuff in
> FreeBSD? I've just acquired a FreeBSD box to experiment on. One problem
> I can see is that it requires a binary INDEX.db that must be generated
> on the host with the ports tree. This would make it hard to share a
> pkgsrc tree across multiple machines by NFS, which is what I do at home.
> Perhaps it's worth it, though...

I've not played with portupgrade. What does it do? (Apart from the
obvious)

How feasible would it be for pkg_chk to have a flag which caused it to use
something like pkg_comp to build all the new packages in a sandbox before
deinstalling anything, and then only deinstall and upgrade when it knows
it has successfully built enough binary packages that the system won't be
left with any missing packages? I would consider that a very useful
feature.

--
Gillette - the best a man can forget