Subject: Re: USE_SASL is too general?
To: grant beattie <grant@NetBSD.org>
From: Adam C. Migus <adam@migus.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 12/29/2003 19:53:00
On Monday 29 December 2003 06:10 pm, grant beattie wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 29, 2003 at 06:08:21PM -0500, Adam C. Migus wrote:
> > > I'm in a situation where I want to build databases/openldap
> > > without SASL, but want to build mail/postfix _with_ SASL. If I do
> > > a make update
> > > somewhere things may break. Or am I missing something?
> > >
> > > /Daniel
> >
> > My apologies for not readily offering a solution but your post gave
> > me an idea for this type situation.  Wouldn't it be neat if you
> > could say:
> >
> > .if (I'm building databases)
> > USE_SASL=NO
> > .else
> > USE_SASL=YES
> > .endif
>
> you probably can. I agree these variables should be largely
> per-package rather than system-wide.
>
> you can also run "make package USE_SASL=YES".
>
> > If there was a ${PKGNAME_NOVER} being ${PKGNAME} without the
> > version information one could say something like:
> >
> > .if (${PKGNAME_NOVER} == "openldap")
>
> ${PKGBASE} :-)
>
> grant.

Grant,
LOL!

So then why do the variables _need_ to be per-package?  I actually like
being able to say USE_{SOMETHING} and know it means "if a package has
support for {SOMETHING} I want to compile it in..."

How difficult would it be to offer the decision making logic behind some
kind of construct to allow simple inclusion or exclusion lists in
mk.conf?

Adam