Subject: Re: mixing pkgsrc and distro packages under Linux
To: Antoine Jacoutot <ajacoutot@dioranews.com>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 12/24/2003 10:06:38
On Wed, 24 Dec 2003, Antoine Jacoutot wrote:

> Oh I know that, I just though this would be a VERY convenient feature.

It would be too hard to do. So it is not convenient for the developers.

Just because the libraries or various files are available, they may have
been built using different options (some autodetected) that may make them
be incompatible or different than the other software depending on it would
expect.

(A similar discussion was on this list a couple months ago, about using
native perl and related instead of pkgsrc perl.)

   Jeremy C. Reed
   http://bsd.reedmedia.net/