Subject: Re: package ALWAYS?
To: None <tech-pkg@NetBSD.org>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 12/15/2003 16:32:56
On Mon, 15 Dec 2003, Chuck Yerkes wrote:

> I'm fairly well used to OpenBSD and one thing they do that's
> nice is that BEFORE the install target is a "package" target.
> Always.

OpenBSD ports developers made sure that each package (port) used
"install" to install and then it could force it to install to the
fake-install directory first. (Last I read, OpenBSD wasn't finished
getting all packages to do the fake install first.)

pkgsrc could do the same, but it could involve a lot of patches to make
sure it uses the install we want, to make sure packages don't use "cp",
etc. (Last week, I did notice several packages were fixed to use the
correct install(1).)

>     "show me the chain of dependancies for spamassassin"

I use show-all-depends-dirs (but that doesn't show versions and it also
includes the BUILD_DEPENDS) or show-depends-dirs.

By the way, I like using the bin-install target.

   Jeremy C. Reed
   http://bsd.reedmedia.net/