Subject: package ALWAYS?
To: None <tech-pkg@NetBSD.org>
From: Chuck Yerkes <chuck+nbsd@2003.snew.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 12/15/2003 18:55:35
I didn't find this in the archives, but I didn't read everything.

I'm fairly well used to OpenBSD and one thing they do that's
nice is that BEFORE the install target is a "package" target.
Always.

Which means if I make (say) spam-assassin, I have packages of
ALL the dependancies.

It means they install into $PACKAGE/work/fake-install/, not
the live tree.

I can live with installing then getting a package, but I'm
having to manually track dependancies to FIND them to make
packages.

My use is using pkgsrc on Solaris where I have a build box and
several production boxes.

I'm tired of making packages by hand and dealing with all the
crap. I'll install the /usr/pkg/ stuff onto the production boxes
and make them use netbsd pkg formats.

But I need those pkg format files made and I'd like to not make
them by hand.  Is there some mk.conf variable I'm missing?

Oh, it would also be nice to be able to differentiate between
tools needed to run and tools needed to build.  I may need gmake
to build something, but its moot once the build is done.
Any tools that anwser this?
    "show me the chain of dependancies for spamassassin"

Thanks

(note: replies will go back to the list)

chuck