Subject: Re: apr and db4
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Eric Gillespie <epg@pretzelnet.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 12/15/2003 14:49:11
Todd Vierling <tv@duh.org> writes:

> According to the svn FAQ, apr needs to be linked against db4
> only as a way to keep from linking against earlier Berkeley DB
> releases (db3 in particular).  Nothing is mentioned about
> conflicting with non-BDB dbm databases.

That is out of date.  The issue in question comes from r7560.
Subversion no longer includes db.h, as explained by this excerpt
from that revision's log message:

  Replace #include <db.h> with:
  #define APU_WANT_DB
  #include <apu_want.h>

As i understand it, this change was the sledgehammer they used to
solve the "db-discovering code is borked" problem.

> Before the change to apr to use db4, it was using the
> Apache-builtin sdbm, not db3 or earlier Berkeley DB.  What
> happened when the previous

apr doesn't use Apache anything; apr and apr-util sit below
Apache and can be and are used without Apache even being
installed.  Before i made apr use db4, it was using the db in
NetBSD's libc.  I don't know what it did on Linux, for example,
or if it built at all.

--
Eric Gillespie <*> epg@pretzelnet.org