Subject: Re: mk/
To: Frederick Bruckman <>
From: grant beattie <>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 12/08/2003 11:37:26
On Thu, Dec 04, 2003 at 11:51:05AM -0600, Frederick Bruckman wrote:

> > I'd love to see gcc3 become a meta-package. It would simplify things
> > considerably. As I understand it, the argument against doing this is that the
> > monolithic package compiles faster than the separate packages.
> Now that we've had gcc-3.3.2 in base for a while, more and more users
> will only need one component, so for them, it would surely be faster
> to compile the one thing, than all of them.

you're only talking about NetBSD-current, obviously. there are many

lang/gcc3 should not *become* a meta-pkg. I do not want to throw away
the monolithic package. I do, however, welcome a meta-pkg being added.
more parts should be shared so that there is less work involved updating
all/any of them, while still retaining the choices that we currently

in any case, support for the various split packages still needs to be
added to

we also still need a gcc3 runtime package, which provides the shared
libraries without the compiler components. I think tv had one ready
some time ago.. Todd?