Subject: devel/cvs and ./configure.lineno: 9897: Syntax error: "!" unexpected
To: None <>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 12/03/2003 17:40:16
make configure in devel/cvs reports:

checking for GSSAPI... no
./configure.lineno: 9897: Syntax error: "!" unexpected
*** Error code 2

I am not sure about that 9897 reference. Because no "!" there, but several

I don't know where the issue is. It may be related to the big patch

This is under BSD/OS 4.3.1; the sh doesn't work good enough for pkgsrc.
(So I use SH as bash.)

My fix was to do:

+REPLACE_INTERPRETER+=  sh       .*/bin/sh       ${SH}     configure

What about a system-wide way to handle this?

What do others do on systems with bad /bin/sh?

Or is it rare and only a problem for a few packages?

May I commit the above fix? (I aske here, since tech-pkg is the
MAINTAINER for devel/cvs.)

Or does someone know what the real problem with
 Syntax error: "!" unexpected

   Jeremy C. Reed