Subject: Re: recent mail/sendmail changes
To: Ben Collver <collver1@comcast.net>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@duh.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 12/02/2003 23:04:49
On Tue, 2 Dec 2003, Ben Collver wrote:

: > Unless you're going to put it in ${PKG_SYSCONFDIR}, this is WRONG.
: > submit.cf is *intentionally* customizable just like any other Sendmail
: > config, and thus should not be used directly from ${PREFIX}/share.
:
: I am sorry, I do not understand what you mean by this.

submit.cf, and /var/spool/clientmqueue, are part of Sendmail 8.12's two-step
queue mechanism intended to reduce the chance of local-root exploits which
were once very common in Sendmail.

In NetBSD-current, clientmqueue does exist for Sendmail 8.12, and submit.cf
is in /etc/mail.  The /etc/rc.d/smmsp script starts the "sendmail message
submission program", which uses submit.cf and /var/spool/clientmqueue.

The problem with the mail/sendmail package with regard to these two things
is actually that the package is missing a rc.d/smmsp script to match the one
in NetBSD-current.  (It also doesn't have a rc.d/sendmail script, but that's
probably under the assumption that the one supplied by NetBSD is enough.)

--
-- Todd Vierling <tv@duh.org> <tv@pobox.com>