Subject: Re: Font problem only with Gnome, Bluefish, Sodipodi and QCad --
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Gan Uesli Starling <alias@starling.us>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 12/02/2003 16:48:53
I have some wierd font problems on one of three PCs where
only GTK2 programs show tiny dots where glyphs should be
in all the menus rendering the packages useless. These pkgs
are: Sodipodi, Bluefish and QCad. And gnome-session does
similarly. Other X11 programs are fine. Only the GDK2 ones
are kaput font-wise.

Jeremy C. Reed suggested I explore it with ldd and
compare against a working system. I get these results.

ldd of /usr/pkg/bin/bluefish reports:

   Working PC has repeated libraries thus:
	-lfreetype.8 => /usr/X11R6/lib/libfreetype.so.8
	-lfreetype.9 => /usr/pkg/lib/libfreetype.so.9

   Non-working laptop has only one thus:
	-lfreetype.9 => /usr/pkg/lib/libfreetype.so.9

ldd of /usr/X11R6/bin/sodipodi reports similarly...

ldd of /usr/pkg/bin/qcad reports similarly...

So on the working PC there are a pair of lfreetype libraries. But
on the non-working laptop there is only a single lfreetype library.
And similarly so for all three affected programs.

Is that correct? And is there anything I can do about
it?

Thanks,

Gan

--