Subject: Re: pkg/23621: rebuilding graphics/mplayer causes re-downloads of Lots of Big Files
To: None <dgriffi@cs.csubak.edu>
From: Robert Elz <kre@munnari.OZ.AU>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 12/02/2003 18:26:50
    Date:        Tue,  2 Dec 2003 10:34:42 +0000 (UTC)
    From:        dgriffi@cs.csubak.edu

  | A closer look showed me that the package NOW wants to download
  | to distfiles/mplayer-1.0rc1/ rather than distfiles/mplayer.

I believe that was a deliberate change a while ago - it will cause
things to be re-fetched when they don't really need to be, but only
once (or only once now).

There are a couple of files in the mplayer set of stuff that have
no version I-Ds in them - to allow for those things changing, all
of mplayer was moved under a versioned DIST_SUBDIR.

Personally, I would have preferred just those few files (fonts I
think) in a versioned sub-dir (they tend not to change in sync
with mplayer versions), and the rest of mplayer, and its themes/skins/...
(whatever that stuff is) left just in mplayer/* - but I'm not sure
if pkgsrc is able to handle a pkg with some files in one DIST_SUBDIR
and other files in another - and "mplayer would like that" probably
isn't, alone, enough of a reason to add that kind of functionality.

kre