Subject: Re: about PR 21097: runtime dependencies should not be recursively
To: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@duh.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 11/25/2003 17:06:51
On Tue, 25 Nov 2003, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:

: Todd V. submitted a PR 21097 in April:
:
:  http://www.netbsd.org/cgi-bin/query-pr-single.pl?number=21097
:
: I am using this PACKAGE_DEPENDS_RECURSE idea (set to "false" in my
: mk.conf) on a Linux system using LOCALBASE as /usr and with xpkgwedge.

Yup; I've set it to "false" since I submitted the bug with no ill effects.

I've pointed out several times that it should be possible to strip out this
part of the recursive registration Right Now, but no one seems gutsy enough
to do it.  8-)

: But I still have problems with wrong registrations. For example, as far as
: I know, gramps (genealogy program) should not be dependent on metacity (a
: window manager).

This is the other issue I brought up on tech-pkg when it came up again in
August:

  http://mail-index.netbsd.org/tech-pkg/2003/08/21/0016.html
  http://mail-index.netbsd.org/tech-pkg/2003/08/21/0031.html

and the rest of that thread.  In particular, the last paragraph of
08/21/0031 describes, somewhat confusingly, how this is a three-way problem:
direct dependency; indirect dependency that cares about indirect ABI;
indirect dependency that doesn't care about indirect ABI.  Only in the last
of those three cases is omission of the DEPENDS acceptable.

I could have sworn there was yet another thread about all this at some
point, but it doesn't have "pkg/21097" in the message text anywhere if so.

--
-- Todd Vierling <tv@duh.org> <tv@pobox.com>