Subject: Re: make: RE substitution error: Invalid preceding regular
To: Jeremy C. Reed <>
From: Marc Recht <>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 11/19/2003 16:24:15

> I am now using latest bmake too (as installed from pkgsrc today).

I'm a bit confused. Does it fail with pkgsrc's bmake and work with the=20
bootstrap-pkgsrc one or fail with both ? (And the system is Linux ?)

> I tried your suggested fix above. It did not work for me. At first, I
> don't think that is used anyways, because PKGNAME_REQD does not appear to
> be defined (according to show-var target). But I commented out that line
> and it continued fine.

PKGNAME_REQD is defined (at make "target" time), see line 4029 of=20 And there is the problem since it's defined quoted now.=20 tries to work for quoted and unquoted PKGNAME_REQDs. Therefore =

the \'?. But the problem for "your" bmake seems to be the \' part. So,=20
maybe rewriting it to:
PYTHON_VERSION_REQD?=3D "${PKGNAME_REQD:C/^'?py([^-]*)-.*/\1/}"

works ?

> I don't know where the problem is. I will send-pr this if I can reproduce
> on another system.
> My workaround is to undef PYTHON_VERSION_REQD (or define it) in
> (My PYTHON_VERSION_REQD=3D23pth in my Makefile is not =

That doesn't work for every package, since not all work with Python 2.3.

Marc Recht

Version: GnuPG v1.2.3 (NetBSD)