Subject: Re: why python+pth?
To: Nathan J. Williams <nathanw@wasabisystems.com>
From: Christian Limpach <chris@pin.lu>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 11/18/2003 17:04:13
From: "Perry E.Metzger" <perry@piermont.com>
> >> How is pthread_attr_setstacksize typically used? We might be able to
> >> optimize if we typically have only a small number of different stack
> >> sizes...
> >
> > It's used pretty haphazardly. Most uses are an application that thinks
> > it needs a "big" stack setting the stack size to be some number of
> > megabytes. BIND 9 is the only application I've seen so far that tries
> > to set the stack size to something small (64k).
>
> Does the stack size typically get set while we're still running only
> with one thread?

Python doesn't fail because we don't honor pthread_attr_setstacksize(), the
python tests fail because they need the initial thread to have a "big"
stack.  You can't use pthread_attr_setstacksize() to change the size of the
initial thread because its size is locked even before main() is called.

    christian