Subject: Re: why python+pth?
To: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
From: Marc Recht <recht@netbsd.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 11/17/2003 23:47:23
--==========DC7E58FCA72D12F202BC==========

>> Why is it named "pth" then, and why isn't it the default?
>
> I don't know. (I guess "pth" was meant to be an abbreviation of threads.)

Some time ago it was built against PTH only. And then has been changed to=20
prefer native threads over PTH.

> I don't know how stable it is on different operating systems used with
> pkgsrc.

It's stable on Linux (read passes the test suite).

> If it is reliable now, then the threads should just be included by =
default
> and the python*-pth could be removed.

That would IMHO the best thing to do when Python works reliable with native =

threads on -current.

--=20
Marc Recht
--==========DC7E58FCA72D12F202BC==========