Subject: Re: devel/smpeg build failed because libncurses.* isn't buildlinked
To: None <>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 11/15/2003 13:16:06
Sebastian replied to me off-list that my aalib/Makefile.common
--with-curses-driver=no fix worked for him.

Now I looked closer:

I had aalib-x11- installed. And /usr/pkg/lib/ was
linked with:
         -lcurses.5 => /usr/lib/

This is on NetBSD.

But I just also installed aalib- It was not linked with any
curses. But now I see it has patch-aa which is for aacurses.c -- it
doesn't use the curses.h header though. So curses is not needed.

Then I uninstalled aalib-x11 and rebuilt it. And now it doesn't have
any lcurses linked. It is now version aalib-x11- ... this is the
same version I had before.

I guess that the ncurses/ got changed sometime between now
and then. And so before my aalib-x11 built with it and now it doesn't.

Since others may have old aalib (or aalib-x11) installed with same version
that accidently had curses support. Then smpeg and SDL builds will now

I believe the correct fix is to do aalib/Makefile.common with:

CONFIGURE_ARGS+=	--with-curses-driver=no

And also bump the PKGREVISION number of the aalib-x11 and aalib packages
and then bump the BUILDLINK_DEPENDS versions in their files.

Then if someone wants to build SDL (or smpeg), then they will be forced to
reinstall aalib.

Please have a look at your:

 ldd /usr/pkg/lib/libaa*

Is it linked to a curses library?

I assume that Sebastian and I can't be the only one with this problem.

   Jeremy C. Reed