Subject: Re: hier(7) silent on pkg documentation
To: NetBSD Packages Technical Discussion List <tech-pkg@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Michal Pasternak <michal@pasternak.w.lub.pl>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 11/12/2003 07:22:55
Greg A. Woods [Mon, Nov 10, 2003 at 03:29:39PM -0500]:
> > Most intuituve path for postgresql-docs IMO would be
> > share/doc/postgresql/guide.
>
> Why the "/guide" suffix?  How is that intuitive?

Because PostgreSQL docs are located in "postgresql", and PostgreSQL Guide is
located in "postgresql/guide". For example: would you rather like to have
those 24 HTML files of NetBSD guide available separatley in
/usr/share/doc/guide - or freely floating somewhere in /usr/share/doc ?

> Perhaps you need the experience of running a 7x24 production database
> server through several iterations of upgrades then....  :-)

Production upgrades are always pain, but if you're not in hurry and have
additional machine to test everything on it...

> Currently with pkgsrc-supplied postresql the only safe way to upgrage a
> database server is to shut down the server, dump the database using the
> old version of the software, pkg_delete postgresql && pkg_add postgresql
> to upgrade the software, then re-load the database using the newly

You don't have to dump the databases on recent PgSQL. I haven't tested it,
but PgSQL developers claimed binary compatibility of the database files some
time ago.

> In an ideal world you have both old and new releases installed
> simultaneously and you migrate the data to the new system without taking
> down the old system.  Then once everything tests OK with the new
> software you simply stop the old server and restart the new server in
> its place -- i.e. with very little downtime and not even the possibility
> of any unexpected surprises.

Speaking about PgSQL (hey, that's a nice offtopic) - perhaps someone could
take a look how Debian does it, in the times of binary-pgsql-incompatibility
it had some nice script for automating this task.

Take care,
--
Michal Pasternak :: http://pasternak.w.lub.pl