Subject: Re: hier(7) silent on pkg documentation
To: NetBSD Packages Technical Discussion List <tech-pkg@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Michal Pasternak <michal@pasternak.w.lub.pl>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 11/08/2003 01:16:40
Greg A. Woods [Fri, Nov 07, 2003 at 10:56:40AM -0500]:
> [ On Friday, November 7, 2003 at 14:58:50 (+0100), Michal Pasternak wrote: ]
> > Subject: Re: hier(7) silent on pkg documentation
> >
> > Well, for me, it is very predictable, than when I want to read PostgreSQL
> > guide with HTML browser, I should go to /usr/pkg/share/doc/html/postgresql.
>
> The uniform, predictable, location of the documentation is very
> important.  The file format of the documentation _MUST_ come second, if

Really? Does it come second for man and info? :)

> I.e. the use of "/usr/pkg/share/doc/html/postgresql" as a location for
> documentation of any kind is VERY wrong and flies in the face of good
> human factors design.

Okay.

Most intuituve path for postgresql-docs IMO would be
share/doc/postgresql/guide.

I still object mimicking pkgsrc structure in share/doc hierarchy.

> version to another on live production systems.  Sadly postgresql is one
> of those pkgsrc modules that is not yet able to support multiple
> versions being simultaneously installed, despite the fact that it would
> benefit greatly from such an ability.

I can't imagine those benefits.

Regards,
--